A few weeks ago I discovered that Netflix has a rss feed so that you can keep track of all the movies they are constantly adding to their instant play list. I love it, and have already pulled a few gems out of the list to add to my queue. One of my favorites so far has been Give Me Your Hand, a foreign film by Pascal-Alex Vincent. As a warning, the film is not rated, and I expect that it could easily exceed an R for graphic sexuality & violence. This film is not pornographic, but the characters have a variety of experiences, several of which are rather traumatizing. I should also mention that the film was extremely light on dialogue, but it actually didn't bother me - probably due to the good cinematography, and the fact that I was busy pondering all sorts of stuff.
The film tells the story of Antoine and his twin brother Quentin, as they journey across Europe to reach their mother's funeral. Like many adolescents, their relationship is fraught with conflict, some of which is due to Antoine's struggle to deal with his brother's homosexuality. I don't want to give away the ending, but the movie left me with a lot to think about.
And since we are on the subject of movies, several weeks ago I saw Valentine's Day. I'm a sucker for an ensemble cast, and the movie actually surprised me. There were some redeeming themes, a few cute moments, and a fair amount of laughs, so it is definitely worth a rental. However, something happened during the movie that really bothered me.
Throughout the movie we see the development and genesis of several relationships. One of the more minor of these happened to involve two guys. When their conflict is finally resolved, we are rewarded with a heartwarming scene, culminating in a kiss. As I hugged myself and sighed in the dark theater, the audience erupted in laughter. It was not supposed to be a funny scene. In fact, it was surrounded by other endearing scenes, which makes it even more unbelievable. Suddenly, in that dark theater I felt very alone.
No one was there to give me their hand.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Sounds good... I'm going to check it out.
I recently discovered some awesome movies on Netflix as well - yay for netflix -and foreign films can be pretty dang inspiring...love em.
Netflix is actually in an interesting position. Their core business is DVDs, a dying technology, so instant play *MUST* become their new trademark "red envelope in the mail."
You know, I need to quiz my brother sometime and ask what he's gone through (if anything) with my own coming out. He still lives with my parents, so I'm sure he's seen way more about it than I have, living half-way across the continent.
Post a Comment