Monday, March 1, 2010

Role Models III - Rob Thomas


I've had this in the can for awhile, but a recent post by AmbiguouS One encouraged me to get it out there.

Rob is on my list because he has been a strong supporter of gay rights. Check out what he said in the Huffington post several months ago:

"I believe that to deny this right to the gay population is to say to them, "this god is not your god and he doesn't love you." There isn't one person who is against gay marriage that can give me a reason why it shouldn't be legal without bringing God or their religion into it. Still, I'm amazed at the audacity of a small, misdirected group of the ultra-conservative Christian right wing, to spend millions of dollars, in a recession, on advertisements to stop two men or women who love each other from being able to be married, but when you present any opposition to them, they accuse you of attacking their religion. Isn't it funny that the people who are the quickest to take someone's basic rights to happiness are always the loudest to scream when someone attacks their right to do so?"

The entire article is actually really good, along with an interview the Advocate did back in June.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's hard to find a comparable arrogance to the claim of "I'm being persecuted because I oppose gay rights," but if I could manage to watch FoxNews for more than a few minutes, I bet I could.

A Gay Mormon Boy said...

Exactly right. What happened to the 11th Article of Faith (We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may)?

mattman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mattman said...

When did “worshiping god” become synonymous for sexual preference? That article of faith is speaking of religious freedom. The right wing is not mandating who sleeps with whom.

El Genio said...

Santorio: Well said.
GMB: I have asked myself that question SO many times.

Matt: At least as far as Mormonism is concerned, worshiping God has always had a lot to do with marriage. One of the the most important, highest, and sacred ordinances of the LDS church is celestial marriage. There is no reason why we should want to deny others the opportunity to participate in their own religious ceremonies.

Post a Comment