Monday, May 17, 2010

Mr. Gay UK

The last few weeks have been an interesting roller coaster ride of sorts. Interacting with a new group of people on a regular basis is always fascinating. At first, we had to have a few homophobic jokes every night. These were always awkward for me, especially because some people there know about me, while others hadn't clued in. Sometimes I feel like painting a huge HRC symbol on my forehead would make things so much easier. As the facebook friend requests started to roll in most people picked up on it fairly quickly. (Apparently my profile is pretty obvious, even if you don't have access to my 'interested in' status.) After a little while, most people were making comments about how much they hated recent homophobic events. It was nice to know that these people still appreciated me, and thought that I should have the right to marry the person I love, regardless of their gender.

1 comments:

Gauss Jordan said...

Aww. :-)

Yeah, at some point I'm going to (permanently) tick my profile over to "Interested in Men," but not yet. I still want to tell a few people in-person first.

I guess the quality of people I hang with is such that I didn't experience that many homo jokes in the three or so years I'd lived here before coming out. I actually have heard more now from a couple of friends, because they're ribbing on me for spending so much time in the closet "navel gazing" (with air quotes) that I couldn't find a good boyfriend. I'm not even sure what that means, lol.

Post a Comment