Saturday, January 9, 2010

To Those Who Ground Me

In my never-ending quest to stay busy, today I hiked 11 miles. The elevation gain was about 1500 feet. I probably did about 2/3 of the gain in the first mile or so, which included some alternate trails and some bushwhacking. I'm tired, but not completely exhausted like I was two weeks ago when I did 1200 feet in .7 miles. Being in between jobs I have had time to start regularly running again, and it seems to be helping.


I had a long conversation with Mom this week, which started out a lot like an ecclesiastical interview. "Are you praying? Are you reading your scriptures? Are you sure you don't want to talk to your bishop about this?" I still pray occasionally. I go back and forth on this one. I would like to believe, I really would. But in many ways, the heavens have been silent for a long long time. I'm not reading my scriptures, and despite trying to get me to promise to read them, I have no plans to do so. I haven't benefited from scripture reading for years, so I'll be putting my time to better uses. As for the Bishop, I actually wouldn't mind talking to him at this point if he were to request an interview. While I was still attending church I had no intention of being labeled and then marginalized. Now that I'm no longer attending though, I think I'm comfortable enough to explain exactly how things are. But as I explained to Mom, what is the bishop going to tell me that I don't already know? In a best case scenario, I'm going to get a pamphlet telling me to stay away from people with "SSA" and to not focus on my gayness. Anyways, the whole church ship sailed a long time ago. And then just for fun Mom reminded me that she did not see these type of relationships as being able to last forever. Well the truth is, I want no part of any type of forever that involves the breakup of these relationships and families. And yes, I am already aware that any future relationship I have will have to stand purely on me and my partners efforts. We won't get the luxury of a sealing, of a church, or the support of family. She said she didn't even understand how gay people can have a family. I explained that we could adopt (my personal preference at the moment) and that if some couples really want to they can have a surrogate mother. I'm actually open to the latter idea, it would just take a little bit of convincing from Mr. Perfect. Anyway, the whole conversation was out of love, and I think they are still coming to terms with this, which is fine. They have more time. Unfortunately, maybe even a lot more time.


I need wing men. My reward for today's hike was supposed to be dinner at the Abbey (the best gay bar in the world according to Logo). I wasn't planning on drinking because I wanted to scope the place out, and because I had to drive myself home. It was so crowded that eating at the bar didn't really seem practical, and there wasn't really a good solo table available, so I ended up just walking around for a bit and then left. I don't understand how people meet other people at bars. It just seems like you have to have a good group of friends to go with, and even then, how do you get approached? There were lots of good groups of friends I saw, which is exactly what I need, but have no idea how to get. Maybe next time I will try Fiesta Cantina and see if the atmosphere is a little more conducive to a meal.

And finally, to those who ground me: take a message back from me! Tell them how I am defying gravity!

3 comments:

Max Power said...

ARRGH! I totally spaced off calling you yesterday. We had a friend visiting from Utah and ended up going with a group of 7 people to Fiesta Cantina and then to dance at Cherry Pop (we skipped the Abbey).

BTW, I'm not sure that Fiesta even had food. We just went for the margaritas. Maybe they serve food earlier in the evening. We got there at about 10:30 and it was completely packed with people.

You definitely need wing men in the world of WeHo. Especially for places like the Abbey. I've heard that there are other, much more chill places, but I haven't been to them (St. Felix, East West and Eleven). Maybe check those places out since you live relatively close to that area.

BB said...

Wing Men are a must, Gay or Straight. They let you feel out whether or not a guy is interested and you can tag team guys in groups and actually break the ice. That is the hardest part which is why cheesy pick-up lines were invented. What you need is a good wingman who you can talk to if the night isn't going so well but who can also work well in introducing you to people.
I recommend watching "How I met your Mother" and watching Neil Patrick Harris' character. Over the top? YES, informational? Absolutely!

Mike said...

I want to go to The Abbey soon. Like you I'm clueless in a bar setting. :(

Post a Comment