Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Recent Media

This week I found two gay stories in media that isn't solely gay themed:

1. V for Vendetta: I generally enjoy dystopian stories, so it's no surprise that I liked this movie. What was a surprise was the beautiful lesbian love story nestled into the middle of the film. Normally anything involving the words girls and romance makes me run for the hills, but this story was worked into the plot so well, it just seemed to fit naturally. Beautiful, touching, and heartbreaking.

2. Kings: I have blogged about this story twice before. I first discovered it while working absurdly late in trailer in a Las Vegas (true story). What really makes the show interesting is its translation of a biblical story into a futuristic setting. Of course, like any other good television on NBC (*cough*studio60*cough*) it got canceled, and the remaining episodes have finally made it to the top of my Netflix queue. I just finished watching episode 1.8 "Pilgrimage." The gay story is finally resolved in this episode, and I was really pleased with where they took it. I highly recommend it to anyone who is dealing with how honest to be about this aspect of their lives, and their relationships.

2 comments:

BB said...

I F-ing loved kings! The night of darkness that Jack/Jonathan and his lover share is so sweet. It melted my heart and I was sad to see them go. Why NBC.. WHY!!!!!!

Gauss Jordan said...

I'd completely forgotten about the gay theme in V for Vendetta until I happened to pop the DVD in a month or so ago. I've yet another reason to like that film. :-)

Post a Comment