I think it was a good thing I ended up working so late Sunday night. Initially I didn't think coming out was that big of a deal, but as the night progressed I got more and more nervous. I probably wouldn't have been able to sleep if I had tried. Thankfully, by the time 6:00 am rolled around and I was done, my body was exhausted enough that I fell right asleep.
Thank you to everyone who responded with words of encouragement on here, facebook, or via email. As of right now I have heard back from everyone except my brother, grandma, and a few cousins. Everyone has been supportive, and let me know that they still think I am a "cool guy." I have even had a few friendships in Utah that have been rejuvenated because of the note. There are two common caveats that I have often received in these conversations.
1. We think you should still go to church. (Not going to happen, and the events of this week are a perfect example of why.)
2. We think homosexuality is wrong.
Number 2 doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would. For whatever reason, people feel like they have to get it off their chest. Fine, whatever, I don't care. I have thought about this decision for a long time, and am fully prepared to deal with any worse-case scenario. My decision has been made. I won't be flipping around because some people (who admittedly know nothing about homosexuality) think it is wrong.
I know people are talking about it, because I have had several family members make sudden friend requests on facebook. This just goes with the territory, and I'm ok with it. Overall, this has been a very positive experience. It just feels good to know that I can just be me, and not worry about what anyone else thinks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
Glad to hear that your family and friends are responding as they should, with love for you. Congratulations.
Well I was definitely worried about you after your last post. I did not know what was going to happen or how you would react.
I am excited to hear that it has gone so well for you. It just goes to show that you never can tell how others will react.
It really shows the unconditional love that your friends and family have for you.
Again, congrats!
My favorite response to #2 is, "that's okay, I think Mormonism is wrong, and you actually got to choose that." People LOVE that response.
Around Halloween, I'm going to come out to my college friends. About half of them are super-religious baptists (they go on missions, I get emails monthly about their activities asking for funds, mostly-spent trying to convert MSLMs (they apparently don't want to say "muslims" for fear of triggering filters?).
I'm not entirely sure what they're going to do when they find out that this guy they've known for a decade is gay. I was even a part of some of their weddings.
And on brighter topics, Cheers! It's always good to know people will stand by you, and if you take a step back, you'll realize this is just a small facet of your relationship with them. :-) You're still you, and they like you.
True love has one out yet again. I'm glad to hear it.
I know people are talking about it, because I have had several family members make sudden friend requests on facebook.
Wow. Isn't it usually the other way around? (De-friended on Facebook for coming out)
I'm glad it's been a good experience for you!
Post a Comment