
I saw Les Misérables recently, so a lot of different themes from the musical have been bouncing around in my head. Tangent: If you haven't seen the new version, go see it! The music is still amazing, and they used some new effects in a pretty cool way. Anyway, I was talking with a friend about Javer's character, and how they never really liked him. Javer happens to be one of my favorite characters - not because I want to emulate him - but because you see a perfect and very real conflict in him. My friend mentioned that they always felt like Javer's suicide wasn't real. "Why would someone kill themselves just because they couldn't accept the fact that someone else can be forgiven. That's not very realistic." I had to point out that it's completely realistic, and that lot's of people in our world today's have this exact same attitude. I was sooo close to mentioning the topic of homosexuality and how church members treat gay people, but I just couldn't get up the courage. But seriously, how many church members absolutely refuse to believe that one day gay people could have access to all the same blessings and ordinances of the church that they do? Sadly I think there are a lot of modern day Javer's in our religious communities, blinded by their own distorted view of God and his justice.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment