Sunday, May 22, 2011

Goodbye Kevin & Scotty

As some of you probably know, the TV series Brothers & Sisters was recently cancelled. I've bemoaned the cancellation of many a TV show during my life, but Brothers & Sisters is different because it has been with me through the incredible journey of the last few years.

I started watching the show during season 2, when I had only recently discovered that there were other Gay Mormons out there. Turns out they were real people, they were just like me, (not strange, or weird, or whatever I was worried about back then) and some of them had blogs. After reading a few posts by other bloggers about Kevin & Scotty, I decided this was a show that I needed to see. Not wanting to jump in to the middle of the second season, I signed up for Netflix so I could start fresh from season 1. I was living at home at the time, and I can still remember the fear and trepidation I felt when I worried that my parents would discover what I was watching. The show was so good that I increased my subscription to two discs at a time.

I don't want to go into too much detail about the show, or about Kevin & Scotty's relationship. I want to preserve those experiences for future viewers. But in many ways I was just like Kevin Walker. Struggling to be more open about my sexuality. A pronounced workaholic, that really wanted to do a good job for his bosses. And of course, desperate for a real relationship and yet somehow unable to quite manage or understand what that means. While I had certainly seen gay media prior to this point, Kevin & Scotty were the first real gay couple that I ever saw. Even though it wasn't perfect, they had what I so desperately wanted. Hopefully someday I'll be lucky enough to have something like that.

To make an ensemble cast drama work, you really have to have an amazing cast. Of course, Brothers & Sisters had lots of very talented actors. Sally Field is amazing in her own right, but she had some great chemistry with Calista Flockhart and Patricia Wettig. Rachel Griffiths of Six Feet Under fame is always amazing, and the list just goes on and on. While The West Wing gave us the walk & talk, Brothers & Sisters gave us epic Walker family phone trees, disaster dinners, and plenty of wine.

Most viewers of the show knew that its days were numbered. When Rob Lowe leaves a series, it is always a bad omen. But still, just a few episodes before the season finale I felt like things were starting to pick up again. Then they cancelled the show, and the last two episodes felt like this messy hodge-podge of events that were attempting to wrap up all the story lines in the little time they had left. One more season with a clear and defined series end point would have allowed things to close in a much more elegant and meaningful way.

That said, I'm grateful for the memories. This box set will soon be making its way to my shelf, where it can share a highly coveted spot right next to the West Wing and Firefly.




































4 comments:

SCalRF said...

I've been curious about that show, maybe I should check it out. And hurray for mentioning Firefly!

Unknown said...

Ugh every show I get into gets canceled.

Mind Of Mine said...

I really hate when my favorite shows get cancelled. Luckily my all time favorite shows, like Angel and Dollhouse were given time to wrap the series up. But when the plug is pulled immediately It is so frustrating.

Joey said...

Well, my friend, I have neglected commenting for some time and I apologize for that!

I was devastated when the execs decided to cancel Brothers and Sisters. It is by far the best thing on Sunday nights. It reminded me so much of my family's quirkiness, although my family's idiosyncrasies are far different than the Walkers. I always found hope, fun, and utter joy watching them. I also loved the relationship between Kevin and Scotty. Secretly, I was jealous of Kevin. I wanted to be the one to marry Scotty. (Yes, I have a mild crush on Luke McFarlane.)

I think the worst thing about the sudden cancellation of the show is that there was zero time for resolution in the show. It just dropped off the face of the Earth.

Post a Comment