If you ever need an example of how direct majority rule by the people is a bad idea, all you need to do is look at California. Our state government has been all but incapacitated by a vast number of different propositions over the last 30 years. Corporations regularly spend millions of dollar to craft their own initiatives and then get them on the ballot. All you need is 150,000 signatures to get an initiative on the ballot. With the advent of paid signature gatherers, this means you can get an initiative on the ballot for $150,000 - $200,000... small change for corporations - or some of our favorite churches.
Fortunately, there are no religious initiatives trying to remove the rights of gay people in this year's election. In fact, the only gay initiative that I'm aware of is housing and employment discrimination in Ohio.
That said, proposition 19, which will make small amounts of marijuana legal for adults over age 21 legal has been attracting a lot of attention. Originally I was cautiously supportive of this initiative. I think law enforcement time, effort, and money spent on pot enforcement is a huge waste of resources. In some ways, pot is a relatively minor and harmless drug. With its prevalence, ease of procurement, and medical uses, police are never going to be make any kind of significant dent in it's usage. Our limited resources could be better spent elsewhere.
But I'm voting no on this proposition for two reasons. First, the federal government has said that they have no plans to let recreational marijuana use in California slide under the radar. They intend to continue enforcement of federal drug laws, which means this proposition would just create a big mess. But the real reason this initiative is annoying me, is that I'm sick of the pot culture here in LA. The stuff seems to be everywhere I go. Producers and all sorts of professional at work are always into it. I go to social events here in LA, and there are always a few guys talking about it. And worst of all, this week I walked out of my room and I could smell it in my own house.
It seems my roommate has taken up the habit, and is even bold enough to do it while I'm home. I've been aware of this possibility for awhile now. A few weeks ago I came home and noticed that he had left a signed prescription for medical marijuana on the table. He has NO medical condition that justifies this prescription... but hey, this is LA, and we all know a prescription is ridiculously easy to acquire. This bugs me for two reasons. Number one, its marijuana, and I am not ok with that. Number two, I specifically asked him before I moved into the apartment if he smoked. He already lied to me about this, since I catch him smoking a couple times each month. I've been able to ignore it so far, since it has been pretty rare, but the marijuana is just not something I'm willing to tolerate - especially not every night.
So my perfect apartment is no longer perfect, and I need to find a new one. Am I being to harsh? I doubt it. In theory I'm fine with people doing whatever they want in their own house. But this is my home, and it's not something I want to be around.
Now if only I could find a decent place with a hot tub and a piano. *sigh*
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


8 comments:
I hate it when people lie! That's my biggest pet peeve! You're roommate sounds like a real winner. I hope that you are able to get it sorted out and find a new place with both a hot tub and a piano!
I thought of you when I saw this:
http://failblog.org/2010/10/27/epic-fail-photos-note-to-your-neighbors-win/
Evict him.
@Corey: I don't want to sound too unsympathetic, he's been a fairly decent guy otherwise. Reality says that I'll have to wait a few years for my dream apartment, but that's ok.
@Max: I literally had my penguin towel underneath the door last night :/
@Joned: I rent from him, so not exactly an option.
Of all the props this year, this is the one I care about least; yet I am going to vote yes. But oh well, that is for another day. I just had to point out that to me, some of your arguments sound familiar...
(Try and remember 2008, if you can)
But I'm voting yes on proposition 8 for two reasons. First, the federal government has said that they have no plans to recognize gay marriages performed in California. They intend to continue enforcement of DOMA, which means this proposition would just create a big mess. But the real reason this initiative is annoying me, is that I'm sick of the gay culture here in LA. The stuff seems to be everywhere I go. Producers and all sorts of professional at work are always into it. I go to social events here in LA, and there are always a few guys talking about it. And worst of all, this week I walked out of my room and I could see it in my own house.
--OK, that's all from me. That and I just want to remind you that we have both a hot tub and a piano AND a spare bedroom whenever you want to visit. =)
I'm also voting no partially for the reasons you said.
Did you read about that study claiming that alcohol is more dangerous than drugs like heroin and cocaine? Plenty of people made the argument that marijuana should be legal because tobacco and alcohol are legal and they're worse. I wonder if studies like this will encourage people to push for more drugs to be legalized than just pot . . .
I'm with you on that. I've bailed on a few social events because pot made an appearance. I can't even fathom what I'd do if someone lit up *in* my house.
Post a Comment