
I fulfilled another life dream tonight. Yes, that's right... I went and saw Bare! I have to give credit to D. for introducing me to the music earlier this year. Ever since I started listening to it I knew I had to see this musical if I ever got the chance. As fate would have it, I have a friend from my last ward who is the musical director. She posted about it on facebook, and I eagerly replied that if this was indeed what I thought it was, I would definitely be there. She commented on my post and explained exactly what Bare is about. So if anyone from the old ward was paying attention, they might have put two and two together. :)
The production was more of a workshop than a full blown show, but I still really, really enjoyed it. I trembled with excitement as I watched Peter & Jason dance at the Rave, I laughed with the nun (who was an absolutely amazing singer), I was frustrated with the intolerance, and I wept with Peter. I was particularly moved by the song Warning, a song that Peter's mom sings after he tries to come out to her. I'd imagine my parents probably feel the same way. At the very end (spoilers) I was moved by the chorus.
No voice, no sound
No sound, no words
No words, no songs
No songs, no heart
No heart, no love
No love, no life
No life, no truth
No truth, no life
No voice!
I really don't want to be the negative voice, but what a scathing critique of religion... and how true it often is.
No voice.
No Love.
No life.
But I don't want to end this post on such a sad note. I am really stoked about crossing this one off my list. It has been a dream for almost a year, and I haven't had such a good time at a musical since I was on the second row for Wicked. I'll probably change the music in my player (on the right side of the page) to some Bare songs within the next hour. Also, here is a clip for your enjoyment:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comments:
Have to say that I am jealous. Bare is one of those shows I have been wanting to see for quite some time. It never makes, or in my opinion will ever make, it to my area of the country.
I discovered the music of Bare about 2 years ago when I was going through a very rough patch in my life. It was the music of this show that really helped me out of the hole I was in at the time.
I will say that I don't like the ending either, but it is a show.
Anyway, glad you got the chance to experience. Maybe someday I will get the same chance. Who knows!
Post a Comment