Sunday, June 7, 2009

Update

So, I have been meaning to update the blog with the details of Thursday's dinner, but on Friday I worked for 15 hours straight, and then on Saturday and Sunday I was just lazy. At any rate, things again went much better than I ever expected. My parents were very clear that they wanted me to remain a part of the family, and that they wanted me to feel comfortable. I had really expected more of a hard lined consequences approach. I am very grateful that they have recognized that this is my decision to make, and that they will love and support me regardless. One of the questions they did ask me was why I hadn't told them sooner. I explained that for most of my life, I have just been focused on so many other areas, that I wasn't even dealing with the issue myself. Of course, prop 8 was why I didn't say anything within the last year or so, but I was more tactful than just blurting that out. Had they realized, I'm sure they would have acted differently in so many situations. I'm not sure that I can fault them for that, especially with how well they have reacted so far. In the end, I don't want them to feel like they have in any way been bad parents (because they haven't).

Next step: brothers & sisters, and then maybe just a facebook note.

2 comments:

Bravone said...

I am really glad that things are going so well for you. Good luck with the rest of the family.

drakames said...

Me too, I'm glad that everything seemed to work out okay with your parents. I hope that you have the same fortune with your other family! I know that took a lot of courage, and I admire you for it.

Post a Comment