Monday, May 4, 2009

Role Models II


Tonight's role model is fictional. Cut me some slack ok? Major Bill Keane, M.D. is the character played by Rick Schroder in the 2008 miniseries The Andromeda Strain. Major Keane defies most of the typical gay stereotypes, chief among them being that he is staunchly conservative. While his character's lines and attitudes during the film can be annoying, there are several very positive aspects of his character - especially for a gay character in such a prominent role. The first of these is that he is trusted as the only member of the team who can deactivate the lab's self destruct sequence. The film makes a direct reference to DADT and the irony of Keane's situation.

Sadly, I can't recommend the movie itself. I'm not sure how it ended up being so bad, it appeared to have a decent budget, good actors, and a very good director (Ridley Scott). Maybe the script was bad? At any rate, it comes off as a somewhat cheesy movie of the week. I do recommend the original book by Michael Crichton - great stuff.

1 comments:

AmbiguouS One said...

Did you know that Rick Schroeder is LDS? He got married to an LDS woman and converted. I think it is on IMDb.com.

Now, isn't that ironic?

Post a Comment