Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Road Ahead

Today was not the greatest of days. At 8 am this morning (I am so not a morning person) I found out that I have to have a filling replaced. After my dentist apt. I went home and got 20 minutes of work done before my laptop proceeded to fry itself right in front of my eyes. The logic board (mac term for motherboard?) is probably ruined, which means it has to be sent back to Apple for repair. Because of my custom hardware needs I can't get a new one right away, so I'm going to be stuck with just the iPhone for at least a week. :( Please forgive my typos.

I finished No More Goodbyes tonight. I highly recommend the book to anyone who has friends or family that are struggling with their being gay. Of course, this brings me ever closer to my own personal turning point. I have been really wanting to tell my parents over the last few days, but I put it off because of mothers day. Tonight though, I am feeling just the opposite. Why should I trust them with this? They have given so much in both time and money to the prop 8 campaign that I don't know how I can expect any sort of positive reaction from them. If anything, I should wait until I can finalize some type of condo purchase so that I can at least have some physical space to let both of us adjust.

3 comments:

Bravone said...

Genio, I can understand your hesitancy to share with your parents, but you may be surprised how their feelings and attitudes may change when they discover that one of their own is gay. It is easy to formulate judgments about strangers, and quite another thing when it hits home. You are their son, and while they may not understand or support your actions, I suspect they will always love you.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with Bravone. My mom didn't know how my dad would react because he has always been somewhat vocal about the politics of gays, but when I told him about me, he was very understanding. I think it is totally worth it.

Scott said...

Another vote for "go for it". They will almost certainly not react as badly as you think they will, and almost certainly learning that someone close to them is affected by their words and actions will cause them to think more carefully about the things they do and say.

Post a Comment